It is full steam ahead for PaceDocs with the post-production process underway.

We have been readjusting after returning back to Pace University from our week away filming in Spain. Meanwhile, the crew has taken the time to reflect on the amazing experience we all had while visiting Montilla, Córdoba, Málaga, and all the Tonelerías in between!

“Best part was being around people of Montilla who were living their everyday life going to work, it puts into perspective there’s always a job to be done.” -Derrick

And that is just what PaceDocs did, we got to work! What is a documentary about casks and coopers if we don’t show the process of how a barrel is made? Luckily, we got loads of footage and a firsthand look at how it is done.

“My favorite part of the trip to Spain was getting to document the process of making barrels. I have a background in carpentry and construction so it was fascinating to me to see how the materials and the methods define the entire process from start to finish.” -Wesley Brown

Our visit to Tonelería Juan Pino was a great day for filming.

“My favorite part of filming was getting shots of the barrels being toasted at Tonelería Juan Pino. The flames were really cool and we got some nice shots from them.” -Lorenzo Osorio

We got up close and personal with the barrel-making process and got to see how coopers use fire to bring the shape and taste of the oak to life.

“Favorite part of filming was being able to upclose next to the fire. It gave an opportunity to capture beautiful silhouettes and lightning for shots. Proud of the Shots I got!” -Derrick

“Filming in Montilla at Juan Pino Toneleria was definitely a highlight and where I believe everyone’s creative visions shined the most, since it was the second day and everyone was more used to how the process of the documentary went” -Nathan Spano

While we were there for the coopers, the study abroad experience gave us an irreplaceable perspective. We were not only seeing and exploring the beauty of Spain, we were documenting it at the same time

“My favorite part of the trip was being immersed in another culture and seeing the similarities and differences with our own. Interviewing the coopers at all locations was a great learn hands on with the equipment, but also about their way of life, and it was priceless!” -Jackson Blackburn

“My favorite part of the trip to Spain was getting real life experience in the world of film. I loved learning new aspects of filming while also being immersed in another culture. I also loved that I was able to work with so many amazing people and really work together to come up with unique and creative shots.” -Kaycee Cuzick

For some of the PaceDocs crew, this was their first time out of the United States. They got the opportunity to see how diverse the world is.

“It’s interesting how different everything is compared to New York, such as prices, greetings, food, landscape, and architecture.” -Nathan Spano

“My favorite part of the trip was exploring Malaga, despite the downpour that occurred almost every day.” -Nathan Spano

The weather was not in our favor. Locals say they haven’t had rain like that for years! But that did not stop us from making the best of the time we had exploring the places we visited.

I really loved visiting the Mosque-Cathedral in Córdoba. I think exploring that area, even while we were frantically adjusting to the rain, was really beautiful and that part of the city just captured the soul of Spain so well.”-Eric Ducos

“Another highlight was definitely exploring Malaga, and getting to see the varying ages of 

architecture inhabiting the city from the Roman Times to the present day. Seeing how the diffe

rent streets weaved between each other made it so that one street corner felt completely unique to the rest.” -Wesley Brown

“I also enjoyed exploring each city and learning the architecture and the history behind the wineries and buildings that we all went to. -Scott Glover”

At the end of the day, it was all about producing the documentary. The crew came together to log footage, debrief the day, and plan for the next.

My favorite part of the trip to Spain was watching the entire documentary coming together. Being able to see everything we researched in person was incredibly cool. It was even cooler to watch the story fall into place and see out documentary take shape. -Kat Brennan

“My favorite part of the trip was working with everyone, because we all have a common goal and we knew what the right shots were and what wasn’t.” -Scott Glover

“I loved the camaraderie we all had from day one, as you never know how a crew will click until they are in person. I also loved documenting the passion these coopers had for the craft and the Andalusia region. The paella we had in Málaga was pretty great as well!” -Rachel Hutchings

But maybe the real documentary, was the friends we made along the way…

“It’s hard for me to pick my favorite moment from the trip, this was such a beautiful and enriching experience but if I had to narrow it down to just one, I would say that I appreciate this group’s ability to maintain morale at all times even logging into the wee hours of the night was an enjoyable task with this crew that I’m happy to call my friends.” -Aryeh Williams

“My favorite part of the trip to Spain was the team. I got to learn so much from the people that I worked with and I will never forget the amazing memories we created during the production. I also learned extensive knowledge on cooperage and winemaking which was not only interesting but enchanting. As an international student, this was a huge learning opportunity for me and I am super grateful that I got to put all my knowledge and enthusiasm in such a beautiful project in a country that speaks my native language.” -Fiona Torres Moino

In Spain, we went from being a class to becoming a team! Our one-of-a-kind experience brought us closer together and we can’t wait to share our collective creativity in our documentary premiering May 2! Follow us on our socials to stay up to date on our post-production process and to find out more information on our upcoming premiere!