We are moving at lightning speed towards the premiere on May 2nd and today we are revealing our incredible poster for our documentary, The Cooper: Crafting the Soul of the Cask! Featuring photography by our immensely talented Kat Brennan and graphic design by the incredible Lilah McCormack. Before we even set foot in Spain, our fearless leader Dr. Luskay told us that a picture that one of us took would end up being the poster, so our job was to be creative and find moments worthy of such prestige. When we all saw this shot in particular, it felt like a no-brainer. Our very own Kat Brennan’s first thought when she got the shot…”Sick!” It wasn’t until reflecting on the shot later in the day that we all realized just how great it was. When talking with Kat this week about what it meant for her photography to be chosen she excitedly said,

“The whole poster photo is honestly I think one of my proudest moments. I had made it my goal going to Spain to take some good pictures because it would be really nice practice for photography, and I managed to get The One for the poster which was like WOW. I love photography, I think that to be able to find and immortalize that perfect moment is a skill that I’m hoping to perfect one day, and it’s really cool to see the practice and everything pay off with this photo. And like, not to toot my own horn, but it’s a cool photo! and I look at it and go “Wow. I took that. Wow.” and smile. I’m really excited for this doc to come out.”

What makes this an even cooler moment is that she is only starting her journey.

“I’m also fairly new to photography, Professor Lou said I should try it, and I decided to give it a go. And I enjoy it SO much! I love taking my camera around and capturing the moment. It’s why I do so many BTS. Like for Spain I took over 1k photos in BTS. I like taking photos and I did well enough one of them is on the poster? Sick!” – Kat Brennan

The other thing we needed to create a poster, was a title. Man, was that a process of trial and error. We went through dozens of different ideas before landing on this one that really encapsulates the heart of the cooper tradition. For a while we were piecing together the same handful of words into every configuration imaginable. Tradition, cooper, soul, spirit, essence, and family were some common themes. In the end we came up with something that felt true to the story we uncovered while in Spain. As our graphic designer of the poster explained, “The title was inspired by Toneleria Del Sur, a cooperage in Montilla whose motto was “the soul of spirits”. The term soul really defined the dedication and traditional traits of the cooper.” When it came time to put all of these elements together, Lilah stepped up to the plate.

“Working on the poster was not at challenging as I thought it would be, thanks to Kat’s exceptional photograph! I never really worked with Photoshop before doing the poster for the documentary so I had to learn a lot as I went. Thankfully I had a lot of support from the current crew and even some past documentary members.” -Lilah McCormack

That is what makes this project so special. We are all learning every day and flexing new skills. There is always a team member around to support you when you decide to step up to the plate. This poster is just the beginning. We can’t wait to show you what our teamwork and dedication produced. Get excited for more information about our premiere of The Cooper: Crafting the Soul of the Cask on May 2! Follow us on our socials to get more sneak peeks of our documentary!